THERESE L. TULLY
Therese Tully joined Scandaglia & Ryan in 2003 after working as an attorney with the Federal Trade Commission and as an associate at Jenner & Block LLC.
While at the FTC, Ms. Tully participated in several enforcement actions against parties engaged in internet scams, and handled the investigation of a multinational company involved in providing fraudulent medical treatments, during which she coordinated the enforcement efforts of three countries. Ms. Tully also served as a law clerk to the Honorable Martin C. Ashman of the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois from 1996-1998.
Ms. Tully has represented clients in all stages of litigation, many of which involve multimillion-dollar cases. She also has significant experience representing clients in a variety of matters, such as hospitality litigation patent infringement, professional liability, commercial contracts and constitutional law.
Cases in Point
- Defended a petroleum company in a suit asserting claims for negligence, nuisance, trespass, intentional and negligent infliction of emotional distress and punitive damages arising out of alleged oil contamination in a rural town.
- Defended a California-based hotel and spa in a multimillion-dollar litigation brought by a management company over issues involving breach of contract and breach of fiduciary duties.
- Defended a hotel owner and a management company against breach of contract and fraud claims arising out of the purchase of a $101 million resort property in which the plaintiff sought $30 million in compensatory damages and untold punitive damages. After a three week trial, the jury returned a verdict of no liability in favor our clients.
- Defended a major retailer in a lawsuit brought by a grocery chain seeking temporary and permanent injunctive relief arising out of an alleged breach of a lease agreement. Defeated the plaintiff's motion for a TRO and obtained a successful outcome for the client shortly before the injunction hearing was set to begin.
- Represented a real estate development company in a case addressing the issue of whether an automated teller machine operating inside a major discount retailer at a strip mall was considered a "bank" in violation of a use restriction prohibiting banking activity on the premises. Negotiated a highly favorable settlement that resulted in the client obtaining the key relief it sought.
- Defended an assistant to a high-profile basketball coach charged with ethics violation by a state agency and negotiated the seven-count complaint seeking six figure damages claim down to a one-count settlement with no admission of liability and a small fine.
- Represented a partner of a recruiting software company in a dispute with its general counsel, accused of embezzling corporate funds.
- Represented the government in an investigation of a multinational company providing fraudulent medical treatments and coordinated the enforcement efforts of three countries.
- Represented the owner of manufactured home communities against several cities in California in litigating various novel constitutional claims, all arising out of the application of a rent control ordinance.
Selected Publications and Speaking Engagements
- "Tully's Law," Chicago Daily Law Bulletin, monthly Columnist.
- "Expert Testimony - A Cautionary Tale," The Circuit Rider, The Journal of The Seventh Circuit Bar Association (November 2010), Co-author.
- "Ethics & Practice," hosted by DePaul University's international legal fraternity, Phi Delta Phi. Panel member discussing legal practices and ethical dilemmas relating to the legal profession.
- "Express Preemption and Premarket Approval Under the Medical Device Amendments," Food and Drug Law Journal (vol. 59, no.1), November 2004, Co-author.
Admissions, Affiliations and Honors
- Trial Bar: Northern District of Illinois
- Federal Bars: Seventh Circuit and Northern District of Illinois
- State Bar: Illinois
- American Bar Association
- National Association of Professional Women, Member
- Friends of Chicago Animal Care and Control, Member of the Associate Board of Directors (2011 - 2012)
- PAWS Chicago, Member of the Professional Board
- Erie Neighborhood House, TEAM Volunteer
- Academy of the Sacred Heart Alumnae and Alumni Association, Member
- Dignity Diner Program, Holy Covenant United Methodist Church, Volunteer Server (1996 - 1998)
- Dignity Diner Program, Law clerk coordinator (1997 - 1998)
- Partners in Education Tutor Program, Volunteer substitute tutor (1997 - 1998)
- Pro bono counsel on numerous cases, including death penalty appeal, political asylum appeal and divorce/order of protection case for an abused woman (1998 - 2002)
- AV® Preeminent™ 5.0 out of 5 peer review rating in Martindale-Hubbell Legal Directory
- Loyola University Chicago School of Law, Chicago, Illinois
- Juris Doctor, magna cum laude, 1996
- Loyola Merit Scholar
- Student Articles Editor, Loyola University Law Review (1995 - 1996)
- Staff Member, Loyola University Chicago Law Journal (1994 - 1996)
- American Jurisprudence Award for Excellence in Contracts and in Bioethics and the Law
- Dean's List
- Member, Alpha Sigma Nu (National Jesuit Honor Society)
- Phi Delta Phi legal fraternity.
- Editorial Board, Loyola Consumer Law Reporter, Recent Cases Editor
- Oakland University, Rochester, Michigan
- Bachelor of Science in Finance, with Honors, 1993
- Beta Gamma Sigma (National Honor Society for Collegiate Schools of Business)
- Omicron Delta Epsilon (International Economics Honor Society)
- Golden Key National Honor Society
- Dean's List