GREGORY J. SCANDAGLIA
Gregory Scandaglia began his legal career as a prosecutor for the United States Department of Justice in the Antitrust Division. During his six years with the Division, he successfully prosecuted federal antitrust cases, both civil and criminal, across five states. Following his stint in government service, Mr. Scandaglia spent the next eight years in private practice at Jenner & Block LLP, where he made partner in December 1994. In January 2001, Mr. Scandaglia set out in a new direction, launching his own litigation firm.
Mr. Scandaglia has extensive litigation experience representing clients in areas such as antitrust, commercial real estate disputes, computer technology, product liability, telecommunications, white collar defense, patent, trademark and contract law. He also is skilled in alternative dispute resolution methods, including arbitration and mediation.
CASES IN POINT
Complex Commercial Litigation
- Defended a petroleum company in a suit asserting claims for negligence, nuisance, trespass, intentional and negligent infliction of emotional distress and punitive damages arising out of alleged oil contamination in a rural town.
- Prevailed over a claim brought by a policyholder against an insurance company, asserting, amongst other things, vicarious liability for fiduciary breaches alleged against a lawyer that recommended and sold our client's insurance products.
- Defended a hotel owner and a management company against breach of contract and fraud claims arising out of the purchase of a $101 million resort property in which the plaintiff sought $30 million in compensatory damages and untold punitive damages. After a three week trial, the jury returned a verdict of no liability in favor our clients.
- Represented a real estate investment firm in a $54 million commercial foreclosure lawsuit against a defaulted borrower.
- Represented a real estate investment firm in ADA Title III litigation against a New York City luxury hotel.
- Obtained a $37 million insurance settlement on behalf of a corporate owner of crashed business jet.
- Represented a major pharmaceutical manufacturer in a breach of contract and intentional misconduct action against a supplier of chemical reagent.
- Represented a national retailer in regulatory proceedings relating to its implementation of uniform pricing policies.
- Defended a major insurance carrier in a $10 million excess coverage claim.
- Defended a major toy manufacturer in employment, breach of contract and software trade secret litigation.
- Defended a major telecommunications firm in a national class action alleging deceptive trade practices.
- Represented a major securities firm in a multimillion-dollar breach of contract and professional malpractice action.
- Defended a manufacturer of industrial equipment in a patent infringement action.
Antitrust Litigation - Sherman Act Cases
- Defended a high level executive in a federal grand jury investigation into price-fixing, territorial allocation and output restriction in the manufacturing industry.
- Represented a corporate officer before the European Commission in Brussels in an international antitrust investigation.
- Defended a major toy manufacturer in multimillion-dollar antitrust action alleging price-fixing, dealer termination and unlawful refusal to deal.
- Prosecuted a price-fixing conspiracy in the retail gasoline industry.
- Prosecuted bid-rigging conspiracies in the manufacturing supplies and heavy machinery industry.
Antitrust Litigation - Clayton Act Investigations
- Conducted federal investigations into corporate mergers in the chemical, concrete, metal fabricating and building materials industries.
- Advised major corporations on the legality of various vertical and integrated business relationships.
Arbitration, Mediation, Alternative Dispute Resolution
- Represented an aircraft services corporation in product liability arbitration involving a non-fatal air crash.
- Conducted an arbitration of a multimillion-dollar website development dispute on behalf of an e-commerce company.
- Represented a waste disposal firm in a breach of contract action relating to construction of multimillion-dollar landfill.
- Conducted a mediation for a securities firm in a breach of contract and professional malpractice action.
- Conducted a mediation for an executive accused of fiduciary breaches and unfair competition.
Selected Publications and Speaking Engagements
- "Temporary Restraining Orders and Preliminary Injunctions," Chapter 9, Illinois Institute for Continuing Legal Education, Business & Commercial Litigation 2012 edition, Co-author.
- "Expert Testimony - A Cautionary Tale," The Circuit Rider, The Journal of The Seventh Circuit Bar Association (November 2010), Co-author.
- "Public Accommodations and the Americans with Disabilities Act" (June 2008), Co-author.
- "The Commercial Foreclosure Process in Illinois," DePaul Business & Commercial Law Journal (Winter 2004), Co-author.
- "Express Preemption and Pre-Market Approval Under The Medical Device Amendments," Food and Drug Law Journal (Vol. 59, Number 2, 2004), Co-author.
- National Institute for Trial Advocacy Midwest Regional Program, Instructor (March 2003)
- National Institute for Trial Advocacy Deposition Program, Jenner & Block Instructor (April 2000)
- John Marshall Law School, Lecturer, "Working With Experts" (April 2000)
- "The Attorney and the Testifying Expert," CBA Record (Jan. 1996), Co-author.
Admissions, Affiliations and Honors
- Trial Bar: Northern District of Illinois
- Federal Bars: Seventh Circuit, Northern District of Illinois, Central District of Illinois and Eastern District of Michigan
- State Bar: Illinois
- The Seventh Circuit Bar Association, Member
- Executives' Club of Chicago, Member (2009-2010)
- Chicago Bar Association, former Member of the Hearing Division, Judicial Evaluation Committee
- Featured in the Q&A section of the Chicago Lawyer magazine, July 2009
- Selected as "Super Lawyer" and "Leading Lawyer" in the area of business litigation
- AV® Preeminent™ 5.0 out of 5 peer review rating in Martindale-Hubbell Legal Directory
- Washington College of Law, The American University, Washington, D.C.
- Juris Doctor, May 1986
- Deans’ Fellow, 1983-1986
- State University of New York at Stony Brook, Stony Brook, New York
- Bachelor of Arts, 1983
- Certificate of Excellence, 1982-1983
- Dean's List, 1982, 1983
- Martin Buskin Journalism Scholarship, 1983