SETH REMY YOHALEM
Seth Yohalem joined Scandaglia & Ryan in 2008 after working as an associate at Kirkland & Ellis LLP for more than three years. He has represented clients involved in contract disputes, class action defense litigation, antitrust actions and insurance coverage cases.
CASES IN POINT
- Defended a petroleum company in a suit asserting claims for negligence, nuisance, trespass, intentional and negligent infliction of emotional distress and punitive damages arising out of alleged oil contamination in a rural town.
- Defended a major hotel company against various contract and quasi-contractual claims arising out of two failed hotel deals.
- Representing an individual and two companies owed tens of millions of dollars by a convicted felon in multiple forums, including U.S. Bankruptcy court, U.S. District Court and Illinois State Court.
- Represented a leading chemical manufacturer in a contract dispute against an electronics manufacturer over the supply of chemicals for all of the manufacturer's North American refrigerator plants. Case settled under favorable terms two days into trial.
- Represented a major automotive company in an international arbitration against its Bermuda-based excess liability insurer.
- Defended a major oil company in a lawsuit brought by its franchisees in the Twin Cities alleging breach of contract and Robinson-Pattman act violations.
- Defended a major chemical manufacturer against a class action arising out of its historical contamination of an adjacent river.
- Defended a national convenience store against a class action arising from alleged releases of petroleum from its underground storage tanks at one of its locations.
- Successfully represented, on a pro bono basis, a Congolese victim of torture in his efforts to obtain political asylum and in his related Freedom of Information Act suit.
SELECTED PUBLICATIONS AND SPEAKING ENGAGEMENTS
- "We'll Always Have Parish:
The Ninth Circuit Decision and Its Implications for Enforcement of the Federal Sentencing Guidelines," 37 Columbia Journal of Law and Social Problems. 525 (2004), Author.
ADMISSIONS, AFFILIATIONS AND HONORS
- Federal Bar: Northern District of Illinois
- State Bar: Illinois
- Metro Board, Metropolitan Family Services, Member
- Columbia Law School, New York, New York
- Juris Doctor - 2004
- Harlan Fiske Stone Scholar 2001-2004
- Writing and Research Editor, Columbia Journal of Law and Social Problems
- Amherst College, Amherst, Massachusetts
- Bachelor of Arts, magna cum laude, 2001
- Gail M. Kennedy Award (Best thesis in the Philosophy department)
- Hardy Prize - Second Place (Extemporaneous Speaking)
- Bancroft Prize - Second Place (Prepared Oration)
- Vice President - Amherst Parliamentary Debate Society