MICHAEL S. SHAPIRO
Michael Shapiro joined Scandaglia & Ryan in 2011. Prior to joining the firm, he practiced at SmithAmundsen LLC, as a member of the Commercial Litigation and Aerospace Practice Groups, and at Foley & Lardner, as a member of the Commercial Litigation and Appellate Practice Groups. He also served as a law clerk for The Honorable Matthew F. Kennelly, U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois during the 2008-2009 term.
Mr. Shapiro has experience representing clients in commercial litigation, complex tort defense, declaratory actions and civil rights defense matters.
Cases in Point
- Secured a $23 million judgment against a law firm on malpractice, contract and fiduciary duty claims.
- Successful declaratory judgment action regarding insurance coverage for a six-fatality airplane crash.
- Secured a reversal of order of removal by the Board of Immigration Appeals.
- Won a reversal of an operations discontinuation fine imposed by an administrative agency based on a statutory construction argument.
- Secured a statutory pre-judgment attachment of a bank account and won summary judgment on a $20 million breach of contract action, resulting in an FBI investigation and a criminal conviction.
- Successfully defended against a motion for a temporary restraining order seeking to enjoin a $40 million stock sale.
Selected Publications and Speaking Engagements
- "Temporary Restraining Orders and Preliminary Injunctions," Chapter 9, Illinois Institute for Continuing Legal Education, Business & Commercial Litigation 2012 edition, Contributor.
Admissions, Affiliations and Honors
- Trial Bar: Northern District of Illinois
- Federal Bars: Seventh Circuit, Northern District of Illinois and Central District of Illinois
- State Bars: Illinois
- Chicago Bar Association
- Illinois State Bar Association
- Lawyers' Committee for Better Housing, Attorney of the Day Program (2005-2006)
- Chicago-Kent College of Law
- Juris Doctor, high honors, 2003
- Order of the Coif
- Editor-in-Chief, Chicago-Kent Law Review
- University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
- Bachelor of Science, Finance, 2000